Problem Solution Essay on Obesity
For this essay, you are required to:
- Write about any problem that is of interest to you
- Propose a new solution that will work to solve part or all of the problem
IMPORTANT: You should select a problem that you can successfully define and analyze and propose and defend a solution for in a minimum of 1,200 words. For example, world poverty is too broad of a topic for an essay of this length, but poverty in Cleveland is a manageable topic.
2.) Your essay must do the following (based on the Dewey Sequence):
- Define the problem, exploring its current state
- Examine the problem’s history
- Analyze the problem’s causes and effects
- Propose a solution and discuss how it could be implemented
- Defend the proposed solution and address any potential objections
3.) Your essay must include the following:
- An introduction with a hook (review Hooks and Attention Grabbersfor examples) and strong thesis statement
- Developed body paragraphs with strong topic sentences, cited support, and concluding sentences
- At least four (4) unique sources, cited and referenced properly in APA style (no more than 20% of essay consists of quoted text)
- A word count of 1,200 words, at a minimum (excludes cover page and references page)
Here is my outline that I have used so far.
A. Hook (1-3 sentences):Obesity is one of the biggest issues seen in America today.
Obesity has been an issue since the 1980’s and just keeps getting worse as the years go by. “An
estimated 160 million Americans are either obese or overweight. Nearly three-quarters of
American men and more than 60% of women are obese or overweight” (Murray, C. Ng, M,
Mokdad, A. 2014).
B.Thesis Statement (1-2 sentences – must include both the problem and solution):The problem of obesity in America is due to the cost of unhealthy food compared to healthy food and the health issues it causes. I believe that they solution would be to lower the cost of healthy food and make it more convient for someone to get.
II. Body Paragraph 1 (Define/Describe the Problem – Use this paragraph to show readers what the problem looks like at the present.):
- Complete Topic Sentence:America is considered one of the best places to live.
Obesity is on the rise in America today. “Obesity is “a chronic, relapsing, multifactorial,
neurobehavioral disease, wherein an increase in body fat promotes adipose tissue
dysfunction and abnormal fat mass physical forces, resulting in adverse metabolic,
biomechanical, and psychosocial health consequences” (Welcome, A. 2017).
1. Planned Support (summary of supporting points): Being obese is when your body mass index or BMI is over 30 kg/m^2. Also a way that correlates with obesity is the abdominal circumference. If a males circumference is greater than or equal to 40 inches or a females circumference is greater than or equal to 35 inches they are considered to be obese.
B. Complete Concluding Sentence: Obesity in America is on the rise every day and rates are alarmingly high to where they need to be. We the people need to come together to lower the statistics.
III. Body Paragraph 2 (Analyze the Problem – History – Use this paragraph to examine the problem’s history.):
A. Complete Topic Sentence: Since the 1980’s America has seen in increase in the number of people how are or have become obese. This is scary to think about. Before then obesity was not an issue.
1. Planned Support (summary of supporting points): America started to become lazier as the years have passed. Things are handed to us and we do not have to work as hard as we used to. Today there are machines that do a lot of the work for us. We even have machines that can cook our food or resturants to swing through the drive through to pick up dinner on the way home from work. We also do not have to hunt or grow our on food. We can even have our groceries delivered to our homes today.
B. Complete Concluding Sentence: People need to realize not all of the gadgets and technology that is available today are as good as they seem. They are putting a hindering on our health and body weight. They are causing us to be lazy.
IV. Body Paragraph 3 (Analyze the Problem – Causes – Use this paragraph to examine the causes of the problem.):
A. Complete Topic Sentence: Obesity today is caused by multiple different things. It can be from anywhere to having depression, being lazy, having a medical condition or just not caring. Also it is rather pricy to buy healthy food.
1. Planned Support (summary of supporting points) “Research shows that most
healthy foods are substantially more expensive” (International Food Policy Research Institute.
2019). Some people have certain medical conditions that can not be helped and a side effect is
weight gain causing the person to become obese. Other people do not have an excuse. I was one
of the other people. I loved junk food and I did not care if I became over weight until it maybe
affecting me having a child.
B. Complete Concluding Sentence: Every person is different. Some can not afford healthy food. Some people just do not care and others have a reason for their obesity.
V. Body Paragraph (Analyze the Problem – Effects – Use this paragraph to examine the problem’s effects.):
A. Complete Topic Sentence: There are many different effects obesity can have on a person.
1. Planned Support (summary of supporting points) “Many behavioral risk
factors, chief among them smoking, heavy drinking, and obesity, are known causes of chronic
health conditions. Chronic health conditions, like cancer, diabetes, or heart disease, in turn are
primary drivers of health care spending, disability, and death” (Sturm, R. 2002).
B. Complete Concluding Sentence: Being obese can cause multiple different health issues to everyone.
VI. Body Paragraph 4 (Propose and Evaluate a Solution – Use this paragraph to propose a solution, including what it is, why it will work, and how it will work.):
A. Complete Topic Sentence: I believe that lowering the cost of healthy foods and providing people with a way to stay healthy and exercise that is cost efficient will help America with its obesity problem.
1. Planned Support (summary of supporting points): Lowing the cost of healthy food will allow people to be able to afford to be healthy. It shocks me going to the grocery and seeing what it cost when I buy healthy food. In my head I think of how easy it would be go go and buy a frozen pizza instead of the healthy items that are in my cart. Providing a place for people to exercise with equipment would also help. There should be a time frame that people should be able to exercise with a reduced or free cost.
B. Complete Concluding Sentence: By lowering the cost and providing a place to exercise, I believe this will help lower the obesity rate in America.
VII. Body Paragraph 5 (Strategies to Effectively Implement the Solution – Use this paragraph to discuss the steps involved in making the solution a reality.):
A. Complete Topic Sentence:In making this solution a reality everyone needs to come together to come up with a plan on how to lower these cost.
1. Planned Support (summary of supporting points) If everyone would come together and come up with a plan to lower cost the obesity rate will lower. They would need to get with the government with their ideas on lowing the cost or try to get funded with this project.
B. Complete Concluding Sentence: Everyone needs to work together to get this done.
A. Summary of plan to tie everything together. In conclusion obesity is an on going issue in America. The world needs to come together and let their voices be heard. Healthy food is priced to high. Going to the gym and exercising is expensive. We need to lower the obesity rate and lower our heath issues that are rising.
International Food Policy Research Institute. (2019). Research shows high prices of healthy
foods contribute to malnutrition worldwide. Retrieved from
Murray, C. Ng, M, Mokdad, A. (2014). The vast majority of American adults are overweight or
obese, and weight is a growing problem among US children. Retrieved from
Sturm, R. (2002). The effects of obesity, smoking, and drinking on medical problems and
costs. Health affairs, 21(2), 245-253. Retrieved from
Welcome, A. (2017). Definition of obesity. Retrieved from https://obesitymedicine.org/definition-of-obesity/
We offer the best custom essay writing services at an affordable rate. We have done this assignment before, we can also do it for you.