phi210 week 3 discussion and response
“Understanding and Analyzing Arguments”
Use the Internet to search for an example of an enthymeme in the media (e.g., Internet, television, radio, newspapers, etc.).
- You may find an op-ed, political piece, advertising, et cetera.
- Identify the implied premise in the enthymeme.
- Why did you choose this example?
NOTE: All students are required to post a minimum of two (2) posts per online discussion thread. Students must have one (1) original post and a minimum of one (1) other post per discussion thread.
AND RESPOND TO THIS POST:
RE: Week 3 Discussion
- The enthymeme has the power to be persuasive and is known as an argumentative statement (1). I chose to look at an example of an enthymeme from the advertising world because through the years there have been many that uses just one sentence, but pack a powerful punch.
“With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good.” Description: Smuckers jams and jellies are good (2). Assumption: The jams and jellies are good because the name says so.
I chose this example because I think there are so many funny assumptions when it comes to advertising and this was a classic advertisement when I was growing up. The assumption that their jelly is good because of a name like Smuckers is a classic enthymeme.
- Richard Nordquist. 2018. Enthymeme – Definition and Examples. Retrieved from https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-an-enthymeme-in-rhetoric-1690654
- No Author. No Date. Enthymeme Examples. Retrieved from https://fos.iloveindia.com/enthymeme-examples.html
We offer the best custom essay writing services at an affordable rate. We have done this assignment before, we can also do it for you.